School is back this week! Teachers, parents, students and coaches play a role in providing support both on and off the field for students who have sustained a concussion. Back to school also means back to sport for many student athletes.
A friendly reminder… when in doubt, sit them out! Knowing the signs and symptoms of a concussion is our first step to ensuring safe play. Below are the concussion red flags to be aware of!
- One pupil larger than the other
- Drowsiness or cannot be awakened
- A headache that gets worse and does not go away
- Weakness, numbness, or decreased coordination
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Slurred speech
- Convulsions or seizures
- Difficulty recognizing people or places
Every brain injury is different and so are the supports required. By working together healthcare providers can come up with a customised plan to support children and youth as they integrate back into school.
Have you talked to your healthcare provider about school accommodations? Classroom support for students with concussions are the key to a successful back to school. Here is what you need to know!
- Provide an alternative workspace or seating with less noise and distractions (e.g. library or front of class)
- Allow the student to wear aides to reduce audio and visual stimuli (e.g. earplugs, headphones, glasses, hat)
- Provide extra time for transition between classes to avoid busy hallways
- Excuse student from assemblies
- Provide alternatives for screen-based instruction (e.g. short and concise written instruction)
- Provide breaks as needed
- Provide print-outs instead of note taking (this includes missed notes)
- Provide opportunities to get extra help
Assessment & Evaluation
- Limit amount of homework
- Provide agenda to help with organization
- Extend deadlines
- Help the student prioritise tasks
- Offer an alternative location for test taking with extra time
If your student’s teacher or principal requires any documentation for these additional supports, give us a call and talk to our front desk staff about our academic accommodation form! Let’s set our youth up for success this September!